Poisoning

Drench

There are several ways to accidentally poison stock with drench that you need to be aware of.
Pour-on is deadly if given by mouth.  Overdosing by more than 50% is dangerous, especially with Levamisole or Selenium.  There are no Abamectin (Ivomec-type) products licensed for oral use in cattle because of potential for overdosing.  Never add drench to bulk tanks such as calf milk feeders as you will have no control over how much each animal drinks.

Always read directions and dose rates carefully, and if you have delegated drenching to other staff, make sure they fully understand your instructions, route of administration, and the dose rates.

Bloat Drench is extremely toxic to calves in it’s concentrate form.  Never use old bloat drench drums as calf feeders.

Plants / Trees

– Oleander is extremely toxic, to stock and to people.  In one case, 5 leaves killed 5 calves.  Remove it with extreme care as scratches can also cause problems.

– Yew leaves, bark and seeds are all poisonous, and just as bad fresh or wilted.  Do not throw trimmings into stock paddocks.

– Acorns are particularly poisonous when they are green (fallen during high winds).  Calves suckling cows that have eaten acorns are most susceptible, followed by calves eating them, then adult animals.

– Rhododendron  has been responsible for the death of several pet lambs, leading to great distress.  Keep lambs out of the garden, and trimmings out of the paddock.

– Lily of the Valley contains digitalis glycosides, the same toxin found in foxglove.  Once again, keep it away from stock.

 

Other plants

There are plenty of other plants that can cause poisonings in stock, including Poa Aquatica (which has locally been known as Oreipunga disease due to its occurrence in this area), rhubarb, arum lily, macrocarpa (particularly after trimming or high winds), ragwort, tutu, hemlock, bracken fern, marijuana, and many others.  Most will only be poisonous if eaten in large quantities but are better not to be eaten at all.

Rubbish / Dump Sites

Old car batteries and sheep dip have caused problems due to the lead and arsenic content. Beware the rubbish pile and inquisitive stock.

If you are concerned that your stock has eaten or been overdosed with any of the above, or you are unsure of how safe a product or plant matter is, please ring the clinic immediately on 0800 226 838 or (07) 827 7099 and ask to speak to a vet.

Covid-19 Update 😷

To our wonderful clients, we are working hard to keep you and our team safe during this current climate. Unfortunately, even with protocols in place, people are still being impacted by this illness and that includes our team. We are managing this the best we can but there are times when we are not fully staffed.

Please be advised there may be longer wait times, days where we cannot offer our full range of services, and changes to our usual hours. Please be patient with us.We may have to reschedule your appointment at short notice as we take care of our staff too. We are sure you will appreciate that we are working exceptionally hard to provide the best care for your pets.

Thank you for your understanding and we will keep you updated as we work through the next few weeks.

CLINIC HOURS:
Monday 8am - 7pm
Tuesday 8am - 7pm
Wednesday 8am - 7pm
Thursday 8am - 5pm
Friday 8am - 5pm
Saturday 8am - 12:30pm
Sunday 9am - 12noon